Let me tell you some history of this project. It all started in year 2003 (probably) when I was driving in Norway with my friends older brother’s Ford Fiesta Mk1. Mk1 is actually quite sweet car and to me the only ‘real’ Fiesta. However after that trip we decided to do similar trip again and in following year I had this very Fiesta of my own that I’m using as a basis of this project with me. During that trip I started wondering, how in hell can people manage to drive with newer cars that are so quiet that it might be hard to hear whether your engine in malfunctioning, road is in bad shape, your blinker is on, or whatever. I realized that in not-so-distant future these sounds would be artificially made, which would mean that they can really be what ever sounds. Not necessarily anything car or motor related, but anything.
Later I borrowed my trusty Ford Fiesta that has been named as Hopeanuoli (named after Finnish translation of Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin) to my brother(s) for couple of years after which he got ill and just sat at my parents yard for last one and half year. At this point all the odds are that he would became one beautiful cube of metal soon. But I decided to give it one more chance.
What I knew at the moment, was that I needed to redo the ingition circuit of the car as it didn’t run that smoothly. The left front tire was also stuck. What I didn’t knew at the state of the car when I headed towards my parent’s house was that the interior of the car was covered in mold. Quite sweet view and smell too! Fixing up ignition system was quite straight forward thing to do. Changing and adjusting breaker contacts, cam, distributor cab, distributor capacitor, spark plugs and all leads did more or less do the trick. Motor started to live. The left tire was more tricky. The problem was that the disk brake on that wheel was stuck. I unattached the break system from the wheel, detached break cylinder, changed seals and redid everything in reverse order. Added some brake fluid, removed the air from the system and I did have a rotating wheel. Sweet. There where also couple smaller flaws, the wiper engine didn’t budge, fixed that with new ground cable from chassis to ground of the engine.
Engine room of Hopeanuoli looking good!
Then it was time to take Hopeanuoli to MOT test. I have never been as nervous is this time as it was obvious that it wouldn’t pass it. I haven’t even dared to look underneath of the car, and judged on the amount of rust on the wheels alone, it wouldn’t be that beautiful sight. Also there is still some problem with the engine, it doesn’t run as before.
Here is the view of the interiours of Hopeanuoli.
Surprisingly Hopeanuoli did pass the test! However, exhaust test did have some strange values indicating that I probably should adjust the valves soon. This might also be the reason for the problems of the engine. There also was hole at the bottom of the car! But it was so nicely shaped that the inspector thought that it was part of the design. Well it most likely wasn’t! But a pass is a pass!
Mold on the backseat looking good!
Some observation I made when driving the car from my parent’s place to my home. The rolling noise from the wheels totally covers to engine noise in highway speeds. Actually this is something folks at Ford did screw with Mk2 Fiesta. Mk1 Fiesta isolates the noise from outside much better. The noise is also so loud that it covers the quiet clicking of the blinker and even though I saw the indicator light on the dashboard, I wasn’t convinced that the blinkers would actually be blinking. Other observation was the steering. I have resently only driven my mom’s Mk3 Fiesta which have much more professional feel than Hopeanuoli, but the feel the Mk2 Fiesta has when you are steering is absolutely awesome. I might add that this car doesn’t have power steering - it doesn’t even have a break booster! Still you really have a feel of total control when dricing this beast.